iB iB
Back to News

Rugby Update 09/10/2017

Posted in Sports News

Rugby Update 09/10/2017

KWC First XV vs Birkenhead

Score: 10-15 Loss

Try Scorers: Holt

Man of the Match: Dittmar

Entering the 2nd round of the NatWest Cup, College came up against a big, physical Birkenhead side. With more additions to the never-ending injury list, the boys knew that they would have to give everything that they had to come out on top. The conditions were horrid and meant that it was going to be a tough battle in the forwards. Missing our starting hooker and tighthead prop, the scrums were all Birkenhead and due to the slippery conditions, there were many of them. Throughout the game, the score was neck and neck, the win was there for the taking for both teams. Unfortunately, defensive errors and a lack of decision making, set Birkenhead up for their tries to make it 10-15. Birkenhead were very well organised and managed the time well, keeping the ball close with their forwards. A steal from Dittmar saw College have one last attack, but it came to nothing and Birkenhead advanced to the next round of the NatWest Cup. The defensive effort from College couldn't be faulted as everyone put their bodies on the line.

KWC First XV vs Liverpool College

Score: 8-17 Loss

Try Scorers: J. Raatgever

Stand-Out Players: Moroney, Rimmer, J. Raatgever

Man of the Match: Moroney

After suffering a heart-breaking loss in the NatWest Cup to Birkenhead, the College boys were determined to get the away win and go 2-0 up in the series against Liverpool College, after beating them in the first round of the NatWest. The game started off well for King William's as we scored our first try through Raatgever and then added to that with a Martin penalty kick, putting us 8-0 up. Unfortunately, the conditions were against us, the heavy rain and strong winds allowed Liverpool College to put pressure on our backline and caused numerous handling errors. Through a lack of discipline and dodgy decisions, Liverpool College fought their way back into the game making it 8-17. In the dying embers of the game, KWC were looking for more points to sneak a victory, but to no avail. A strong defensive display from Liverpool College kept the score as it was and went on to win the game. A strong performance in defence from King William's, however, it wasn't our day.

KWC First XV vs St David's

Score: 40-0 Win

Try Scorers: Telford x2, Dittmar x2, Corlett, Parnell

Stand-Out Players: Dittmar, S. McCord, Webster

Man of the Match: Dittmar

After losing two games on the bounce, this was a must win game for the College boys. On paper it seemed like David and Goliath with the incredible number of injuries and unavailable players. The game started off as a tug of war and it could've gone either way, until the College boys broke the deadlock and scored twice, to make it 12-0. The remainder of the first half was all St. David's and College had to dig deep to not concede, the defensive effort around the fringes and out in ten backs, especially McCord, who put in a number of tackles. Even though College were winning, the performance was nowhere near 100% and we had to improve in the remainder of the game. Entering the 2nd half with a 12-point lead and some stern words from Head Coach, Stephen Jelly, the boys were ready to improve on the first half performance. After being camped in our 22 for the start of the 2nd half, the defence had to rise to the challenge. Numerous tackles and held-up balls later, an opportunity opened up and Dittmar intercepted a pass and ran 80m to put College another 7 points up with a Martin conversion. With the College boys fired up, the remainder of the 2nd half was all College, First XV debutants, Patrick McCord and Josh Duncan, came on and made a great impact and brought in a great home win with a massive zero points conceded. All in all, a successful win for King William's College.


Score 78-0 win

We started off strong with a try from Ruairi McNally in the first minute with the assist coming from Jake Black. Very soon after Haydn Waddington made a break and scored two minutes after so that KWC were 14-0 up. Jake Black then scored between the posts, to make it 21-0. Soon after Ben Bloch scored from a cut in to make it 28-0. Haydn Waddington scored his second try and also in quick succession, Ben Bloch scored, to make it 47-0. Julian Wilson then made a break for his first KWC try, going past four of the QEII players at the same time.

The second half started with some very good team play by KWC, which lead to the captain Jake Black scoring by running half of the pitch to make it 59-0. Ten minutes into the second half, our inside centre Haydn Waddington scored his hat-trick. From the bottom of the ruck, Ruairi McNally picked up the ball and scored to make it 73-0. With the last play of the game Ben Bloch scored once again to make it 78-0.

All together with some players playing out of position, the team played very well, and by far this was the under 14's best game of the season so far.

Finally from the captain Jake Black, he said that, he was very proud of his team's performance today and he hoped that they can have some more good performances like that, this season.

The conversions were taken by:

Jake Black- 7 out of 8

Ben Bloch- 2 out of 3

Toby Wylie- 0 out of 1

KWC U12 vs Castle Rushen

The U12 Rugby season finally got underway when KWC travelled to local rivals Castle Rushen to play two games of 9 a side rugby.  It was great to see every boy from the Lower Fourth involved with some of the lads playing their first competitive game of rugby.  KWC A team won their match 35-15. It was a fiercely contested game with some great attacking play and strong defending. Both teams should be proud of their performances.  In the B team match again both teams put in sterling performances but it was Castle Rushen who finished on top 35-25.  Well done lads.