Our Aims and Objectives
AIMS OF KING WILLIAM'S COLLEGE AND THE BUCHAN ("THE SCHOOL")
Our aims must take account of the context in which we operate ...
- We are, and expect to remain, the only independent school on the Isle of Man. As such we offer choice. The choice of an independent educational offering which is of high quality and distinctive.
- Bearing in mind our unique position, we seek to offer this education to as broad a range of families as can afford it, to children from a broad ability range and to offer support to families who could not otherwise afford the education we offer.
- We are, relatively speaking, a small school. We believe that this underpins our values and allows individuals to flourish.
- We are a Christian foundation which endorses the view that education should be of the whole person. We prepare young people for higher education and adult life. To this end we seek to encourage self-knowledge; to instil a love of learning; to impart academic (and practical) skills and disciplines; to build self-confidence and foster enthusiasms; to encourage the pursuit of virtue and liberality; to create a sense of community; and to provide an insight to what it means to be civilised.
In this context our aims can be stated as follows:
- A SENSE OF COMMUNITY. We aim to create bonds of friendship and mutual support which will last a lifetime.
- ACADEMIC RIGOUR. We are proud of our academic offering and tradition. Therefore our aim is to continue to offer an education with academic rigour at its heart. This aim also informs our approach to the curriculum, in particular our endorsement of the values and internationalism of the International Baccalaureate.
- FOCUS ON THE INDIVIDUAL. Having regard to our size and ethos, our relatively broad academic ability range and our ambition to cater for the most able, our aim is to provide teaching and learning which supports and stretches the individual. We aim to provide a school environment, support mechanisms, communications with parents and an enrichment programme to fulfil this aim.
- BREADTH. We also aim to provide an education which offers a wide range of opportunity outside the classroom. So our aim is to offer a programme of sport, drama, music and a broad range of extra-curricular activities to fulfil this aim, to celebrate diversity and encourage mutual respect.