Aims and Code of Conduct
AIMS OF KING WILLIAM'S COLLEGE AND THE BUCHAN ("THE SCHOOL")
As the only independent school on the Isle of Man we provide parents with choice and we seek to offer an education that is distinctive and of the highest quality. We cater for a broad ability range and through our bursary scheme we provide financial support to families who could not otherwise afford independent education. We are a small school and this encourages a strong sense of community and allows individuals to flourish. As a Christian foundation we believe that education should be of the whole person and we seek to prepare our pupils to be confident and responsible citizens with a life-long love of learning.
In this context our aims can be stated as follows:
- A SENSE OF COMMUNITY. We aim to create bonds of friendship and mutual support which will last a lifetime. Our pupils should play an active role in the school community and the world beyond.
- ACADEMIC RIGOUR. We aim to offer an education with academic rigour at its heart. This also informs our approach to the curriculum, in particular our endorsement of the values and internationalism of the International Baccalaureate which underpins the education we provide throughout the school.
- FOCUS ON THE INDIVIDUAL. We aim to support and stretch the individual. To achieve this aim we need to provide teaching and learning of the highest quality together with appropriate support structures and an extensive enrichment programme.
- OPPORTUNITY. We aim to provide an education which offers a wide range of opportunity outside the classroom. So our aim is to offer an excellent programme of sport, drama and music and a broad range of extra-curricular activities.
KWC CODE OF CONDUCT
As written by our pupils...
Each member of the KWC community is expected to:
- Show common courtesy towards every individual.
- Take responsibility for their actions.
- Respect the School environment and other people's property.
Our aim is for all members of KWC to be happy and positive, looking to better themselves through a love of learning and making the most of every opportunity.