King William's College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. All posts in The Buchan School and King Wiliam's College are subject to the normal statutory checks.
Permanent - 37.5 hours per week
The post holder will report to the Head Chef.
This post is a permanent position, comprising 37.5 hours per week during KWC school term time. Weekend work will be required on a rotational basis. Salary will be dependent on experience and qualifications.
The post holder is required to provide an excellent catering service to the School. The kitchen caters for approximately 650 plus on a daily basis, with additional events and functions which will require some evening and weekend working on a rota basis.
- Undertaking the preparation, cooking and presentation of large quantities of food items on a daily basis to cater for all students, staff and visitors to the College;
- Assisting with the production of food for approximately 100 pupils and resident staff for breakfast and approximately 400 for lunch, with a reduced number on a weekend;
- Assisting with the food preparation, cooking and service provided to holiday letting guests and to outside functions, including a number of silver service dinners;
- To be present during all outside functions involving the catering department, and to ensure that the catering facilities are ready for the next College meal;
- Ensuring the working area is appropriate at all times and high levels of cleanliness are maintained;
- Ensuring that the highest possible levels of hygiene and safety standards are maintained;
- Assisting in the recording of all temperatures as required by the Environmental Health Office;
- Ensuring all machinery, equipment and facilities are maintained in good working order and in a safe and sound condition;
- Ensuring the catering operation complies with the College’s policy on catering standards;
- Reporting any problems/issues/defects to the Domestic Bursar where appropriate.
The post holder will hold the following relevant qualifications, skills and experience, or be working towards these:
- Relevant Food Hygiene qualification is essential;
- Relevant additional qualifications in Cookery are desirable;
- At least 3-5 years experience in a similar role as a Chef for a medium to large sized organisation;
- The ability to juggle a number of priorities within a busy, diverse kitchen, dealing with large volumes of food;
- Supervisory experience is desirable to be able to deputise for the Head Chef if required;
- Awareness of relevant Health and Safety legislation;
- A personable approach and able to work effectively in a busy team environment.
- Work closely with other members of the kitchen team
- Work well in pressure situations and have the ability to plan and organize your time effectively
- A willingness to have a flexible approach to working hours which may occur out of normal working hours.
Completed applications can be sent via email to:
or by post to: HR Department, King William's College, Castletown, IM9 1TP.