King William's College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. All posts in The Buchan School and King Wiliam's College are subject to the normal statutory checks.
King William's College & The Buchan School
Closing date Friday 6th April 2018
Reporting to the Bursar, the Estates Manager is responsible for the management, maintenance, repair and improvement of the properties and grounds. The post holder will also lead the strategic planning and delivery of the School's capital projects and will ideally hold a building industry qualification (RICS, CIOB or RIBA), he/she should have excellent interpersonal, IT and administrative skills, as they will be responsible for ensuring that the school complies with Health & Safety (including Fire Prevention) Legislation and all other estates related ISI (Independent Schools Inspectorate) regulations, particularly as they apply to British Schools Overseas. He/she should also be fully conversant with all matters relating to the Safeguarding and Welfare of children.
Main Responsibilities include:
Repairs, Maintenance and Improvements
- Responsible for the repair, maintenance and improvement of all property (including fixtures and fittings) at both the College (Senior School) and The Buchan (Junior School) sites, together with all machinery and plant.
- Regularly inspect buildings and grounds, noting defects and actioning repairs and improvements.
- Manage and improve 'reporting system' for responding to defects and urgent repairs.
- Plan annual revenue projects, in conjunction with Bursar, SLT and Estates Committee.
- Member of, and regularly report to, Estates Committee (which is chaired by a School Governor).
- Manage all minor works projects including coordination of all services with relevant stakeholders including fixed furniture and equipment etc.
- Maintain list of external contractors, ensuring that DBS checks have been completed, and that 'unchecked contractors' are accompanied on site at all times.
- Carry out and maintain Buildings Risk Assessments (with external professional help where appropriate) for both sites, ensuring that issues raised are dealt with in a timely manner.
- Manage and maintain Asbestos Register, with assistance from external consultants, and in accordance with legislation and best practice.
- Ensure Legionella risk assessments are regularly carried out in accordance with legislation and best practice.
- Ensure that regular Electrical installation tests and surveys are carried out, as required, and maintain and drive forwards programme for PAT testing.
- Ensure all gas installations are regularly maintained and checked in accordance with legislation and safety standards.
- Liaise regularly with the Domestic Bursar, Cleaning Manager and House Staff on boarding house maintenance issues.
- To work with the Senior Leadership Team (SLT), Estates Committee and professional advisors on more strategic estates projects, in accordance with the School's Development Plan.
- Manage and oversee the larger capital projects, monitoring cost, timescale and quality, with assistance from external consultants, where appropriate.
- In conjunction with Bursar, SLT and Estates Committee, draw up five-year maintenance plan taking account of longer term Estates objectives.
- Where external consultants are required, manage the process of selection and appointment, and monitor their performance.
- Obtain advice and permissions in relation to building regulations, planning consents and Fire Authority approvals.
Grounds, Sports Pitches and Swimming Pool
- Manage, and provide support to, the Head Groundsman.
- Regularly liaise with the Director of Sport and the Head Groundsman to ensure that the provision and quality of sports facilities are of a consistently high standard, including developing and improving them as required.
- Monitor and ensure that the wider grounds at both sites are being maintained to a consistently high standard, taking account of the impression this gives to parents and visitors.
- Direct operations to ensure the safety of the site in the event of high winds, snow, ice or other weather related events.
- Responsibility for the maintenance of the Swimming Pool plant and machinery, and ensuring the safety of the Swimming Pool environment.
Caretaker, Porters and Security
- Oversee the responsibilities of the Caretaker.
- Manage all aspects of the security of both sites.
- Manage the schedule and duties of the Porters, liaising regularly with the Head Porter.
- Manage duty rotas for Security and Fire call-out cover.
Budgets & Reporting
- Responsible for agreeing annual Estates budgets with the Bursar.
- Report as necessary to SLT and Governors' sub-committees.
- Deal with estates-related buildings insurance claims in conjunction with Bursary staff.
- Exercise strict financial controls on Estates expenditure, to include monitoring and reporting against approved budget allowances on a monthly basis.
- Keep up to date with knowledge and awareness of compliance, communicating resulting requirements to key stakeholders.
- Ensure that repairs and maintenance works with health and safety implications are dealt with as a matter of priority
- Ensure that regulatory requirements are met through testing and certification of services, installations and equipment.
Health & Safety
- To be the Health & Safety Co-ordinator for both sites in terms of the premises and the grounds, liaising on these matters with the Bursar.
- To ensure that the Estates Team (including the Grounds Team) and Contractors comply at all times with the School's Health and Safety Policy and any wider best practice measures expected of schools.
- Ensure COSHH register is maintained for all hazardous substances, as this applies to the Estates and Grounds Departments, and the Swimming Pool.
- Keep up to date with Health and Safety at Work Regulations, and related ISI requirements for schools.
- Be fully aware of, and ensure compliance with, the ISI regulations as they apply to the school buildings, facilities, environment and grounds, paying particular attention to the boarding environment.
- Attend 'Health and Safety Committee' meetings.
- Ensure that a 'Hot Working Permit' system is used whenever appropriate, whether this is by the Estates Team or external contractors.
- Investigate, report on, and record any accidents or 'near misses' on the appropriate RIDDOR form, reporting as necessary to the Health and Safety Directorate, liaising with the Bursar's Office.
- Undergo appropriate Health and Safety training (such as NEBOSH General Certificate) as required.
- Responsibility for agreeing contracts with gas, oil and electricity suppliers.
- Organise regular maintenance of boilers and other plant and machinery.
- Monitor utility usage (including water) and develop energy conservation initiatives.
General day-to-day Management and Communication
- Communicate with Senior Leadership Team and Managers (including Domestic Bursar, Cleaning Manager and Head of Boarding) with regards to progress on projects and maintenance.
- Attend Management meetings and provide weekly progress and update reports on all building related projects, maintenance and repairs etc.
- Responsible for the performance management of direct reports and their personal development.
- Line Manager for a small Estates Team of 6 members of staff, and overall responsibility for effectiveness of that Department.
- Line Manager for Head Groundsman, and overall responsibility for effectiveness of that Department (currently a team of 3).
- Line Manager for Caretaker.
- To carry out Appraisals for the above staff, and ensure that training, staff development and Health and Safety at Work requirements are met.
- The Estates Manager will be the Fire Safety Officer for both sites.
- Monitor and regularly update the Schools' Fire Risk Assessments, and follow up actions required as a result of each review.
- Maintain and review Fire Evacuation procedures for both sites.
- Through external contractors, as appropriate, maintain and review Fire Detection systems, including Emergency Lighting and Fire Extinguishers; maintaining accurate records of this.
- Organise regular Fire Evacuation Practices, liaising with the Deputy Head Pastoral and Senior House Staff at College, and the Deputy Head at The Buchan, as required.
- Ideally hold a building industry qualification (RICS, CIOB, or RIBA).
- Health & Safety qualifications (such as NEBOSH General Certificates or equivalent)
- Proficient use of IT Microsoft applications.
- Experience of budgetary control.
- Experienced at a senior level of managing properties and grounds.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experienced in managing a team from a wide range of professions or trades.
- Experience within an educational environment would be an advantage.
- Proven knowledge of Health and Safety legislation and best practice.
- Knowledge of Regulatory Legislation for schools including Safeguarding of Children
- Experience in project management and delivering large projects, on time, within budget and to an agreed level of quality.
- Willingness to develop and improve efficiency, systems and procedures.
- Ability to both promote and embrace a culture of collaboration.
Completed applications can be sent via email to:
or by post to: HR Department, King William's College, Castletown, IM9 1TP.
Part-time Morning/Evening Cleaners
Permanent position, 15hrs per week, working within a team in a fast paced and demanding environment. Good rate of pay and benefits package.
The post-holder will report to the Cleaning Manager, who in turn reports to the Domestic Bursar.
This post is a permanent position and will be an all year round full-time role.
The post-holder will be required to maintain the required standards of cleanliness in the allocated areas.
- Performing cleaning and domestic duties in all areas of the School or other units with King William's College or the Buchan School as may be required
- Completing domestic duties using the cleaning materials and equipment as trained; ensuring the health and safety aspects are taken into consideration
- Carrying out all cleaning activities to the required level of cleanliness, to include cleaning and damp dusting the following:
- All furniture and fittings
- Offices and studies
- All floor areas in corridors, offices, waiting rooms, sleeping areas, reception, etc, including skirting boards
- Kitchens, including cupboards, tables, fridges, food trolleys and sink units
- Radiators and pipes
- Accessible light fittings
- High dusting all areas, including light fittings and ceilings where possible
- Windows and ledges
- Doors and frames
- All chairs
- Wall washing
- Interior glass panes where applicable
- All of surfaces
- Machine scrubbing floors where necessary and redress as appropriate
- Carrying out deep cleaning and shampooing of carpets where required, using a carpet extraction machine
- Cleaning the domestic storeroom, maintaining all stock levels and ensuring all machinery is maintained in a good condition; reporting any faults to the Domestic Bursar
- Carrying out refuse collection as required, cleaning receptacles and replacing bin liners
- Cleaning all sanitary areas
- Carrying out basic maintenance tasks where necessary and occasional removal and repositioning of furniture
- Wearing protective clothing and sensible shoes at all times whilst on duty
- Undertaking any training as required and deemed appropriate by the Domestic Bursar
- Reporting any faults with materials or equipment immediately to the Domestic Bursar or Clerk of Works
- Reporting any accidents if they occur on the school premises immediately to the Domestic Bursar or Clerk of Works
- Adhering to all policies and procedures relating to:
- Health and Safety
- Control of infection
- Colour coding
- Fire procedures
- Lifting and handling
- Dress code
- Smoking policy
- Terms and conditions of employment
- Any other similar duties deemed appropriate to the postholder's job level
The postholder will have the following skills and experience:
- Previous experience as a cleaner, ideally in a similar role
- Previous experience working in a school environment would be desirable, although not essential
- A relevant qualification in manual handling would be desirable
- Experience or training in dealing with hazardous substances would be desirable
Completed applications can be sent via email to:
or by post to: HR Department, King William's College, Castletown, IM9 1TP.
Volunteer Application Form