The Pre-Preparatory Department, home to our Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 classes, is a warm and friendly environment where each child is encouraged to achieve their potential.
With an average class size of 11 and a pupil-teacher ratio of 7:1, we deliver a broad and balanced curriculum, as well as fostering each child's confidence and encouraging independence. We work hard to enhance self-esteem so that our children feel confident and are successful in their achievements.
The teachers are skilled at assessing each pupil's individual level of development and then supporting their progress at their own pace so that they flourish. Subject specialist teachers deliver Swimming, Art, Drama, Music, French, IT, PE, Food Work and Bush Craft to all children.
Pre-Prep 1 (Reception) adopts the principles of the Early Years Foundation Stage. Whenever possible the children's interests are used to inspire and engage them in deeper learning and thinking. Children are encouraged to learn through play and meaningful real life 'hands on' experiences.
Pre-Prep 2 (Year 1) and Pre-Prep 3 (Year 2) follow an enhanced National Curriculum and lessons are taught in a variety of styles to appeal to all learners and the curriculum is extended further by the provision of after-school activities.
The School encourages good manners and expects good behaviour. Children are taught by example to become thoughtful and confident individuals. We believe that praise is essential and encourage pupils by positive verbal comments, stickers, 'Pupil of the Week' and 'Star of the Month' certificates.
The Department is committed to work in partnership with parents as we recognise the importance of a good relationship between home and school.
The success of the Department is reflected in its high academic standards and warm friendly atmosphere, with an emphasis on fun.
What makes PRE-PREP even more special?
- Average class size of 11
- Pupil-teacher ratio of 7:1
- Specialist subject lessons in Swimming, PE, IT, Drama, French, Music, Baking and Food Work and Bush Craft
- Good communication between parents and teachers
- Online Tapestry Learning Journal in Pre-Prep 1 (Reception), where parents can access information about their children's learning and progress
- Stay and Learn sessions for parents, to see what your child is doing in School
- Pre-Prep 3 (Year 2) take part in the Buchan Badge Programme and School Council
- After-school activities
- Creative classrooms and IT Suite
- Annual prize giving event
- Adventure playground and outdoor handmade wooden equipment
- Regular school excursions and guest speakers
- Weekly visit from the School Chaplain
- Healthy morning snack, home cooked lunch with class teachers and the chance to sit on the 'Golden Table'
- Instrument, singing and music tuition
- Bluebirds Choir
- Ocarina and String Club
Melissa Hawley, Head of Pre-Preparatory Department