Academic, Drama, Music & Sport Performance
The Buchan School has an excellent reputation for academic excellence and achievement in Sport and the Performing Arts.
The School consists of three main parts; the Nursery, Pre-Prep and Prep Departments. The curriculum offered is broad, with a particular emphasis on excellence and enjoyment. In addition to the main core areas, the School offers specialist teaching and facilities for Drama, Music, Languages, Art, Design and Technology, ICT and Sport.
The Buchan School assesses pupils against national comparisons using the GL Assessment package. The School has out-performed standardised expectations in Mathematics, English and Science in each of the last three years.
The headline statistics for 2017 were as follows:
- Pre-Prep 1 (Reception) were assessed in September and again in June. All pupils made the expected progress with 42% of pupils making higher or much higher progress than expected.
- The Progress Tests in Mathematics and English produced a Mean Standardised Score from all the pupils from Pre-Prep 3 to Form 4 (Y2 to Y6) which was once again, above the national average score of all schools carrying out assessments using this package.
- The pupils from Form 1 to Form 4 were able to use the Progress Tests in Science and this also showed a Mean Standardised Score to be once again above the average. For all pupils taking the test 61.8% of pupils performed above average or well above average.
- The number of Buchan children achieving 'above or well above average' was twice the overall average nationally.
- The number of children achieving 'very high' was four times the overall average nationally.
LAMDA EXAM RESULTS (Yr 5 and 6)
- 2017 – 100% Distinction
- 2016 - 80% Distinction, 20% Merit
- 2015 – 80% Distinction, 20% Merit
- 2014 – 100% Distinction
MUSIC THEORY ABRSM EXAMS
- 2017 100% Pass - 55% Distinction
- 2016 100% Pass - 50% Distinction
MUSIC PRACTICAL ABRSM EXAMS
- 2017 100% Pass, from Pre Test to Grade 4
- 2016 100% Pass, from Pre Test to Grade 4
The Buchan School currently has five choirs and an orchestra. There have been numerous successes at The Guild in recent years and the choirs have performed at the Villa Marina, Peel Cathedral and both the Royal Albert Hall and the Barbican. Pupils from the Buchan orchestra have also played in the KWC orchestra and Manx Youth orchestra.
INTER SCHOOL SPORTS COMPETITIONS
Isle of Man Competitions – 33 competing schools
- Under 10 & Under 11 Isle of Man Swimming - 1st
- Under 11 Isle of Man Cross Country, Girls - 1st
- Under 11 Isle of Man Cross Country, Girls & Boys - 3rd
Southern School Competitions – 7 competing schools
- Under 11 Southern Schools' Netball - 1st
- Under 11 Southern Schools' Football - 1st
- U10 IAPS Invitational Netball Tournament (2 teams) - 1st & 4th